10 Best External SSD Consumer Guides 2023 [Reviews]
An external SSD (solid state drive) provides a convenient digital space to store documents and files. It comes in many different sizes to make sure there is something for everyone. It is ideal for freeing up space on the computer or backing up important documents and files. What’s more, some of these drives are equipped with 256-bit AES hardware that helps keep private content protected. SSDs are simply incredible and that’s why we have reviewed some in these Consumer Guide.
Best External SSD – [Reviews & Buying Guide]
1. WD WDBAGF0010BRD-WESN 1TB External SSD
More content and larger files should be stored in high-performance external SSD like WD WDBAGF0010BRD-WESN. This SSD is built with portability in mind, and this means you can use it anywhere, anytime. It delivers great write speeds of up to 1000MB/s and stunning read speeds of up to 1050MB/s. Needless to say, WD WDBAGF0010BRD-WESN is convenient to use and will help you save a lot of time.
It boasts 1TB storage space so you can keep as many files as you want. It is also well made and can stand up to vibration and shock. Plus you will be able to pick it up in one piece if you accidentally drop it from a height of 6.5 feet (1.98 meters) or less. Moreover, this drive is protected by an amazing 5-year manufacturer’s limited warranty.
- 256-bit AES hardware encryption will keep your data safe
- USB 3.2 Gen-2 technology improves the compatibility of the drive
- Metal design is sleek and compact; thereby, making the drive very portable
- Hard interface is USB and USB Type C
2. SAMSUNG MU-PC2T0T/AM T7 2TB Portable SSD
SAMSUNG T7 comes with software that will help you set up a password in order to get the latest firmware for your Android mobile devices, PC, or Mac. The capacity of T7 is 2TB, and this makes it perfect for storing large files. You can store movies, games, and/or documents. If you find 2TB too large, you can choose from other sizes, which are 500GB and 1TB.
They are ideal for when you do not have much to store. They are also perfect for someone on a budget since they are much cheaper than 2TB. This drive is also available in many different colors, which are Gray, Red, and Blue. Red and blue colors are vibrant and help improve the aesthetics of the drive.
- PCle NVMe technology generates incredibly fast write/read speeds of up to 1000MB/s/1050MB/s
- Aluminum unibody construction is solid and provides extra protection
- Dynamic Thermal Guard and ePCM technology control and withstand heat
- Compact design ensures the T7 is very easy to carry around
3. Crucial CT1000X8SSD9 X8 1TB Portable SSD
Crucial CT1000X8SSD9 is backed by Micron. This is wonderful because Micron is one of the world’s largest producers of flash storage. Having said that, expect this portable SSD to work well for what it is designed for. It is highly compatible and works with PS4, Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, Chromebook, iPad Pro, and Xbox One with USB-C 3.2 Gen2 and USB-A connectors.
Whether you want to back up crucial documents, videos, and photos with up to 2TB capacity, this is the drive to go for. With it, you will be able to expand storage on your gadgets. It also gives you a chance to free up space on your computer. Moreover, this SSD boasts amazing read speeds of up to 1050MB/s.
- Beautiful design allows you to confidently use the drive anywhere
- Drop-proof up to 7.5ft protect the internal components from impact
- Anodized aluminum unibody core provides superior protection
- Innovative design is resistant to extreme temperatures, vibration, and shock
4. VectoTech 8TB 3D NAND Flash External SSD
VectoTech 8TB External SSD comes with 2 cables, which are Type C to Type-A and Type-C to Type-C. These cables enable it to work with both new and old generations of computers. You do not need any new adapters when you have VectoTech 8TB 3D NAND Solid State Drive. Compared to conventional HDDs, VectoTech SSD is up to 3 – 4 times faster.
It transfers data at an ultra fast speed of 540MB/s. It is important to note that the transfer rate is not constant – it may vary based on the size of files you are transferring. System configuration also affects transfer speed. If you want to take the shortest time possible moving and/or copying documents, music, videos, and photos, VectoTech SSD is what you should turn to.
- Made out of 2 plates of sturdy aluminum 1050 grade
- Connected with ABS plastic to make sure it is very durable
- Vibration and shock-resistant up to 1500g at 0.5m/sec
- 8TB storage capacity enables the drive to store as many files and documents as possible
5. Seagate STJD1000400 1TB Expansion Solid State Drive
Seagate STJD1000400 is a versatile gadget that you can use to back up content on the go, store videos directly to laptop, or scroll seamlessly through photos. It is a convenient unit that will no doubt make your work easier. It comes with a USB cable to make sure you have an easy time using it.
It also comes with a 3-year limited warranty that protects it against original defects. Plus there is a 3-year rescue service to further give you peace of mind during purchase. Seagate STJD1000400 is compatible with laptops and Windows. The manufacturer advises that you get an adapter if you plan to use this SSD with USB-C computers. You should note that reformatting may be needed.
- Ultra-small design makes the SSD highly portable
- Sleek appearance makes the drive pleasing to the eyes
- Simple drag-and-drop functionality and USB interface
- 1TB storage capacity stores enough files and documents
6. Oyen U32 4TB USB-C Portable External SSD
People looking for a combination of speed and portability should invest in Oyen 4TB External SSD. It is a high-performance storage device recommended for power users and A/V professionals. It comes with lots of accessories to provide you with great convenience when it comes to using it.
These accessories are USB-C to A cable, USB-C cable, and a padded carrying pouch. The pouch helps make this external SSD extremely easy to carry around and use on the go. The drive is assembled and designed in the US. What’s more, it is backed by a 3-year warranty that protects it against defects in workmanship and material. No installation is required since it is plug-and-play with Mac, Windows, and Sony PS4/PS5.
- Aluminum housing offers excellent heat dissipation and protection
- Highly compatibility allows the SSD to work with all Thunderbolt 3 and USB
- 4TB storage capacity provides enough space for storage and/or back up
- Rock-solid durability enables the SSD to withstand high impact
7. PNY PSD1CS1050-480-FFS Portable Solid State Drive
PNY has a storage capacity of 480GB. While this is not the highest storage capacity in an external solid state drive, it will still help you store crucial files and documents. PNY PSD1CS1050-480 is ideal for someone that does not have a lot of materials to store. It is covered by a 3-year warranty, and this shows that the manufacturer believes in it.
Its dimensions are 2.36 inches wide by 1.4 inches deep by 0.35 inches high. It is a compact solid state drive; meaning it is very easy to carry from one place to another. The price of this unit is also on the low side, and this makes it a nice purchase for someone on a budget.
- Durable aluminum housing protects components perfectly
- Read speeds are up to 430 megabytes per second
- Write speeds are up to 400 megabytes per second
- High compatibility allows the drive to work with Mac OS X and Windows
8. Pioneer APS-XS03-480 3D NAND External SSD
Pioneer APS-XS03-480 comes with a cable to make sure you have no hard time using it for storage and backup. The device weighs just 25 grams. It is unbelievably light in weight and you will have no problem at all carrying it from one place to another. It also does not consume a lot of power, and this will give you peace of mind during use.
Plus it works silently without disrupting your peace. It is fully compatible with Mac and PC. Ideally, you can use it with all USB specifications. That being said, all you need to do is plug it into any USB port and it will get started automatically. Pioneer APS -XS03-480 is also 4 times faster compared to traditional hard drives. This means, with it, you will be able to transfer data quickly without leaving any content behind.
- Pocket-sized design makes the SSD easy to store and carry for on-the-go use
- Durable material is resistant to shock for long-lasting performance
- 480GB digital storage capacity makes the drive perfect for storing important files
- Read speed is 1000 megabytes per second
9. Glyph Atom Pro External NVMe Solid State Drive
The dimensions of the Glyph NVMe SSD are 3.1 by 5.2 by 0.7 inches. These dimensions prove that this SSD is compact, and, therefore, very easy to store. What’s even better, this portable SSD has a decent digital storage capacity of 1TB despite being compact and travel-friendly. The 1TB capacity makes it ideal for someone that does not have too many documents or files to store.
There is also 500GB storage capacity that is handy for those with even fewer documents and files to store/back up. Other sizes of this unit are much larger, and they include 2TB, 4TB, and 8TB. They are ideal for when you have a lot of documents to store and back up. The SSD is formatted for Mac. Reformatting is needed for Windows use. But it is a simple process that should not cause any concern.
- Write speeds are up to 2600 megabytes per second
- Read speeds are up to 2800 megabytes per second
- High compatibility allows the SSD to work with Mac OS 10.X, Windows 10 and Newer OS versions
- Maximum transfer rate via Thunderbolt 3 is 40Gbps
10. SanDisk SDSSDE61-2T00-G25 2TB Extreme Portable SSD
The read speed of SanDisk SDSSDE61-2T00-G25 is up to 1050MB/s and the write speed is up to 1000MB/s. In addition to boasting such excellent read and write speeds, this SSD is compact and portable. In a nutshell, it is designed to help make your work easier than ever before. It makes an amazing purchase for someone looking to capture amazing footage or create incredible file.
SanDisk SDSSDE61-2T00-G25 is also built to last. It is designed in such a way that it can stand up to a 2-meter drop. The manufacturer believes in its quality and performance and that’s why it provides a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty. The storage capacity of this portable SSD is 2TB. It is also available in other sizes, which are 1TB and 500GB.
- 256-bit AES hardware encryption ensures private content remains private
- Carabiner loop allows you to secure the belt drive to a belt loop
- Silicone shell is durable and provides a top-notch feel to the exterior of the drive
- IP55 dust and water resistance makes the SSD sturdy and durable
Buying Guide for the Best Portable SSD
Even with the above detailed reviews that also include key features and honest opinions about various SSD models, it can still be difficult to find a good solid state drive. That’s why we have gone a step further to provide you with important factors to have in mind when buying these drives.
Some external SSDs have a storage capacity of around 120GB or less, whereas others have more than 8TB. Those with higher storage capacity are likely to be more expensive than those with lower storage capacity.
Read & Write Speeds
Whether you get impatient quickly or not, choosing an external solid state drive with high write and read speeds is highly recommended. Such a drive is very much convenient to use and will let you copy everything to your computer within minutes.
Compatibility of the Drive
Your solid state drive should be highly compatible in the sense that it works seamlessly with a laptop, desktop, and even TV. A highly compatible drive makes life more convenient than expected. Moreover, you should choose a drive that is plug-and-play.
One good thing about an external SSD is that it is much faster than a conventional HDD (hard drive disk). Most of them are at least 3 times faster than HDDs. So, if you are looking to take the shortest time possible transferring files and documents, an external solid state drive should be a frontier for you.